Compass, Navigational, Type P8 RAF Ref 6A/0726
The Type P8 Navigational Compass, Ref 6A/0726, was used across numerous aircraft of the British Royal Air Force during WWII, including Spitfire, Hurricane, Mosquito, and Beaufighter.
The compass body rests in a vibration mount, and the compass ring can be rotated to indicate course. The compass is ~5 inches diameter and 3 inches deep. Its original wooden case is 7 inches square. Inspection stamps of 1940 and 1942 can be seen inside the lid.
The compass pointer still rotates freely, seeking North, but the fluid has long since evaporated and the black paint in the reservoir is peeling. Still not bad for an artifact that is more than 70 yrs old.