Beam Compass Indicator Smiths Flight System, 65 SFS RAF Avro Vulcan, HP Victor
This is a Beam Compass Indicator, one of 6 indicators in the Smiths Flight System, made in England by Smiths Aircraft Instruments (part code 65 SFS). Used in 1960's-era aircaft such as the RAF V-bombers Avro Vulcan (see photo of Vulcan instrument panel) and Handley Page Victor, as well as civilian aircraft DeHavilland Comet and Vickers Viscount.
- Sense Switch. Points up when flying towards a station and down when flying from it.
- Compass Scale. At its top datum, the Compass Scale shows the VOR or ILS course selected on the Omni Bearing Indicator.
- Heading Pointer. Shows aircraft heading relative to the Compass Scale.
- Heading Index. Used to set desired heading
- Beam Displacement Bar. Shows aircraft deviation from the selected course.
- Beam Displacement Scale.
- Setting Knob. Used to alter the Heading Index.
- Compass Warning Lamp
It is in exceptional condition given its age, and has a date stamp of 1969. The dial markings are clear and the glass and case are intact. Measures 3.25in diameter and ~8in deep.