Compass, Magnetic, Type B-14, Air Corps US Army, Pre-WWII
This is a example of a pre-WWII-era Magnetic Compass, Type B-14, made by Kollsman using its Poly-Plane Compensator design. It was made for an order by the Air Corps US Army (as evidenced by the embossed AC US ARMY) in 1937 (further evidenced by the serial number prefix AC-37). It is an electrically-lighted compass, with two small lamps intact, one each above and below the lens. The fluid is discolored and about 2/3rds level. But for an 80 year old instrument, it is in fine condition. It has been visually identified as used in the Army Air Corps C-45 Expeditor from its Flight Manual dated 1940.