Gyro Flux Gate Compass System Operations and Service Instructions 1944
This is an original WWII-era manual of Operations and Service Instructions for the Gyro Flux Gate Compass System, dated 1944. The Gyro Flux Gate Compass System was used in aircraft of the US Army Air Force such as heavy bombers B-17, B-24, and B-29.
The 7-component Flux Gate Compass system, a technological innovation of its day, was designed to provide accurate navigational guidance using the earth's magnetic forces by minimizing interference from the systems of the aircraft, such as its turrets, guns, and engines. A flux gate gyro transmitter typically located within the wing would send signals to the Master Compass Indicator normally located in the navigator's compartment, which in turn would transmit these signals to smaller repeater indicators located at other positions such as the pilots instrument panel.
This manual came to us from the estate of B-17 Pilot/Co-Pilot Lt. Robert R. Woods of the 401st Bomb Group. More about Lt. Woods can be found here. We are honored to curate Lt. Woods' document.
The 75-page, 8.5 x 11 inch manual is well-used but in reasonable condition given its age and history.